The Primate’s World Relief and Development Fund (PWRDF or, simply, the Primate’s Fund) is not an organization committed to the relief and development of apes. It is, rather, our link to the developing world … and our blue outreach envelope for the month of May. It is named after the top prelate in our national church, our Primate (pronounced prī-mĕt).
The Primate’s World Relief Fund was started in 1959 following the 1958 Spring Hill mine disaster in Nova Scotia that took the lives of 75 miners. Canadians scrambled to collect and distribute funds for the families, and the Anglican Church recognized the need for an ongoing organization that could respond quickly and effectively when disaster struck.
It later added “and Development” to its title as the Fund recognized how often disaster is worsened when local communities are underdeveloped and, further, that development happens best when those communities name their needs and develop their own long-term solutions.
The Primate’s Fund distributed almost $10 million in aid in 2017, over half of that to needs here in Canada. Funds are raised entirely from individual and institutional donors, and not from the annual apportionment we pay the diocese—it is our personal donations that support this good work.
Heather Dumka is our PWRDF representative at St. Stephen’s. This year she is portraying the effectiveness of our support by way of goats—how many goats would a donation buy for a village in a developing country? Visit the site: www.PWRDF.org. It’s not monkey business.